Definition of Physical Therapy:
Physical Therapy is an essential segment of modern health care system. It is a “science of healing and art of caring”. It pertains to the clinical examination, evaluation, assessment, diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal, Neurological, Cardio-Vascular and Respiratory systems’ functional disorders including symptoms of pain, edema, physiological, structural and psychosomatic ailments. It deals with methods of treatment based on movement, manual therapy, physical agents, and therapeutics modalities to relieve the pain and other complications. Hence, Physical therapy covers basic parameters of healing sciences i.e. preventive, promotive, diagnostic, rehabilitative, and curative.
Definition of Physical Therapy:
Physical Therapists are the professionals who assess, plan and implement rehabilitative program that improves or restore human’s motor functions, maximizes movement ability, relieves pain syndromes, and treats or prevents physical challenges associated with injuries, diseases and other impairments by the application of a broad range of Physical therapy techniques, such as movements, mobilizations & manipulations, ultrasound, heating , laser and other techniques and may develop and implement programs for screening and prevention of common physical ailments and disorders.
Scope of Physical Therapy:
The Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) is a clinical doctoral degree (entry level degree) that reflects the growth in the body of knowledge and expected responsibilities that a professional physical therapist must master to provide best practice to the consumer. All physical therapists are obligated to engage in the continual acquisition of knowledge, skills, and abilities to advance the science of physical therapy and its role in the delivery of healthcare. The qualified physical Therapist can be placed in:
• Government sector: Physical Therapists are appointed in hospitals in government sectors as Physical Therapists in Grade – 17 as the initial grade of appointment.
• Physical Therapy Institutes as demonstrator: As lecturer, Senior Lecture, Assistant Professor, associate Professor and Professor depending upon their educational qualification and experience.
• Hospital and Clinics: As Clinical Therapists, senior Therapist and Supervisor of the facility according to their qualification and experience.
• Sports Sector: As Sports Physical Therapist, team Physical Therapist and clinical Heads of sport clinics.
• Rehabilitation Centers: As Rehabilitation specialist both in adult and pediatric.
• Women Health: A newly emerging field where Physical therapist provide specialized care in obs/Gynae and urinary /Bladder incontinent issues related to women.
• ICU/CCU/PICU/NICU: As Respiratory Therapist where a Physical Therapist play a life-saving role.
• Geriatric and Neurological Rehabilitation Center: Old age in itself is been considered a separate branch of medicine where a physical therapist play an important role in diagnosing,giving assessment and management of conditions while keeping in mind the age related abnormalities of the individuals. In addition to that a lot of Neurological conditions including Stoke, Parkinsons, MS, MND are mostly related to the individuals with older age groups.
• School Systems and Special Education institutes: Physical Therapists are involved in the physical assessment of the students and their management as it is necessary for timely screening of the students so that necessary help be advised to the parents.
• Private Practice: Physical Therapist can also establish their own private practice as per rules and regulation of the government.
• Nursing Care: In addition to these, Physical Therapists are working in Nursing care Facilities, Skilled Nursing Facilities, and Long Term Care Facilities.
• Home Healthcare services: Physical Therapist also involve in home health care as most of the patient are in their old age or with some neurological deficit unable to attend Out-patient Physical Therapy Care and it is mandatory to provide physical therapy services to these patients at home.